Why Fundraise for Break The Silence?
Break The Silence provide vital support to those affected by rape and childhood sexual abuse and we need your support to help us continue to support those most in need within our communities.
- In the UK 21% of girls and 16% of boys will experience some form of sexual abuse.
- In 2015, over 47,000 sexual offences against children were recorded in the UK. Latest Government figures confirm that 43% of sexual crime victims are under 18.
- In Scotland in 2014/2015, there were 4,082 recorded sexual offences against children.
- One in 3 teenage girls in a relationship suffer an unwanted sexual act.
- At least 80,000 women suffer rape every year in the UK. In Scotland in 2011/12 crimes of rape increased by 13% to 1,274.
Adverse childhood experiences impact negatively on a child/young person’s psychological and physical health, social growth and academic achievements. It affects their present and future, preventing them from achieving both their potential and their ambition in addition to placing them at extreme disadvantage. Adverse childhood experiences have been linked to;
- Risky health behaviour – smoking, alcoholism, drug use, early sexual activity, un-intended pregnancy;
- chronic health conditions – obesity, diabetes, depression, suicide attempts, STDs, heart disease, cancer, stroke, COPD, broken bones, self-harm;
- low-life potential academic achievements, graduation rates, lost time from work, unemployment; and
- early death.
We depend on the kindness, consideration and generosity of people to enable us to provide our vital services – you could help us change lives and you can have fun in the process. Take a look at our fundraising guide information to help you get started on your fundraising journey.
If you are hosting an event in aid of Break The Silence then thank you. Please remember to contact us so that we may publicise and acknowledge your event and remember that all fundraising activities carried out “in aid of Break the Silence” must comply with our fundraising terms and conditions.